Friday, February 12, 2010

The Wind and Clouds

I have long considered writing a blog, but never really got into it. I've tried here and there to write a few things, but never kept up with anything. I've been on Facebook for a long time, but it's no fun to blog on there because you and your whole family, all of my classmates, coworkers, bosses, church members, relatives, friends, friends' friends, and all of their friends are on there and I really don't want them all to read what I have to say. I don't want to be confronted after church one Sunday because I said a bad word in my blog or I sound like I'm losing my faith. I don't want my job to be in danger, either, if I mouth off about work one day and my boss reads it. So Facebook is out of the question for open, free blogging. So sad to see such a wonderful tool of expression and social connection actually hinder true expression and connection with people because of fear.
Nevertheless, I do want to share a piece of my mind and a good chunk of my heart with the world, so here I am. I've considered writing a book, but let's take baby steps first. This is a good one, I think. I'm a teacher at heart and in profession and, whether anything I say has true value or not, I feel I must say something, hoping somebody else is listening and learning. I'm twenty-five and at a major crossroads in my life at the moment and I want to document my proceedings from here on out, hoping whatever I say here will cast a guiding light for others or leave a trail of breadcrumbs so I can find my way back if I get lost.
Life is hard, crossroads are hard, this path is hard, but we press on toward a brighter, better future. That's why I named this blog "The Travail"; it's a journey full of pain and suffering, but this work will pay off in the end.
"He who observes the wind and waits for all conditions to be favorable will not sow, and he who regards the clouds will not reap." Ecclesiastes 11:4
If we wait for life to be easy, we'll never get anything done. And that's the last time I'll quote scripture, I promise... maybe.

2 comments: